It’s no news that the country has been suffering from an unstable job market for some time. The COVID-19 pandemic brought with it widespread layoffs, furloughs, and breaks in operational hiring – many of which are still being recovered from. But the good news is that hiring rebounded sharply last month, giving the nation’s workers (and employers) some hope that a revival is underway.
Rehiring for previously eliminated positions and bringing in new talent for expanding operations are finally options again, but as the saying goes: when it rains, it pours. The re-opening of businesses and resumption of hiring is not likely to be as tapered as it once was. Now, high volume hiring is running rampant and that comes with its own set of challenges.
In a way, the need to fill open positions is a good problem to have because it means your business is bouncing back from the unprecedented setbacks of 2020. However, you need to be deliberate when it comes to how you approach mass hiring. Let’s discuss some tips for success.
Challenges During the Post-COVID Hiring Boom
As you seek to streamline your hiring practices with swifter recruiting and mass onboardings, you’ll quickly find that the process of high volume hiring is not the same as regular hiring. Whether its baseline logistics or the need to draw top-tier workers away from your competitors, there’s a lot to consider in order to avoid creating more problems than you started with.
Some of the obstacles you are looking to avoid, include:
- Overspending unnecessarily. As your business is recovering, you will want to monitor the real costs of finding qualified candidates. It is critical that you do not spend more time and money than you need to! Expenses can escalate rapidly when opening the hiring floodgates. (Ex. Manufacturing positions can cost up to $5,200 to fill.)
- Taking too long to fill critical roles. Finding the right employees for all your open roles is a worthwhile goal, but getting those vacancies filled within set time constraints is even harder with so many jobs open. Hiring time directly will affect your total number of vacancies, so expediency will be key in having a competitive strategy.
- Inconveniencing candidates with outdated processes. Today’s candidates expect to be able to search and apply for jobs with as little hassle as possible. The ability to interact and even apply for open jobs from a mobile device has become the new norm. For high-volume recruiting, you’ll need to ensure this level of accessibility in a variety of forms.
- Losing top talent amidst enormous applicant pools. Growing talent pools can make identifying the appropriate candidates an obstacle in and of itself. If your business is not yet using applicant tracking software, it may hinder your business in the days ahead.
Tips for High Volume Hiring
With so many businesses all rushing to get a leg up on the competition and rehire candidates as efficiently as possible, you must not lose sight of potential pitfalls. That said, it is equally important to take advantage of all the best hiring methods you can.
In this new era of hiring, here are some solutions to help:
- Automate your screening process. You don’t have time to examine every resume in detail, so it’s good to have alternative methods for weeding out candidates that aren’t the right fit. On average, 75% of resumes for high-volume jobs are considered unqualified. The right technology can help analyze resumes of new and existing candidates to distinguish who fits the job criteria in a fraction of the time.
- Invest in communication channels. Engaging your prospects instantaneously, and develop ongoing communication that is easy for both you and your candidates will increase your chances of securing good hires. It will also help you nurture potentially viable candidates for future operational needs.
- Be open about all the benefits you have to offer. It’s likely that your business has changed certain benefits over the past year to safeguard morale and keep workers longer. Consider marketing those existing or newly added benefits and perks that set your business apart. On-demand pay (1 of 6 jobseekers are seeking opportunities that offer this pay option), direct visibility of their hours and benefits, or expanded PTO policies just might be what gets you your next best employee.
- Embrace the changes COVID-19 has brought. Developments like video interviewing or ‘text to apply’ features became necessary to uphold social distancing and keep both you and job seekers safe. Now, this feature is largely expected. In many ways, embracing these changes will actually make it even easier to capture applicant information, automate responses, and cultivate your talent pool for long-term success.
It’s clear that when it comes to perfecting a high-volume hiring process, there’s a need for technological assistance. In addition to saving you time and money, digital transformation with recruiting and applicant tracking solutions can benefit both your candidate’s overall experience, as well as your employer brand.
At EPAY Systems, we help make hiring and onboarding easy. We combine HR strategies with award-winning workforce management to give hourly workforces a customized experience because we understand the unique obstacles of your industry. Check out our on-demand webinar, “Where Do We Go From Here?” for more insight on overcoming HR’s hiring challenges post-pandemic.