HR is never a simple matter in any industry, but the construction industry has its own unique set of HR challenges. EPAY Systems provides human capital management solutions that can give your company a competitive edge by helping you overcome the HR challenges specific to the construction industry.
HR Challenges in the Construction Industry
Inherent in the nature of the construction industry, HR policies can be much more difficult to implement and maintain. Issues HR professionals in construction face include:
- Minimal time for HR strategy planning: Construction contracts may be awarded on short notice following competitive bidding. As contractors are not usually brought in until the contract is awarded, you may have limited time for a proper HR strategy to build a project team with the right skill sets.
- Changing nature of construction projects: As a construction project progresses, different personnel with different skills are brought in as needed. This creates its own set of complications for HR.
- Transient workforce: Construction workforces tend to be composed of transient contractors who tend to work longer hours at different rates. Along with the high turnover rate common in construction, these factors can make workforce tracking more difficult for HR.
- Health and safety issues: According to OSHA statistics, 1 in every 5 work-related fatalities occurs in the construction industry. In 2014, construction accident fatalities accounted for 20.5% of all private industry work fatalities. Constantly changing workplace locations and high turnover can increase the risk of accidents. Time off work due to injury, regulatory agency involvement, and industrial relations issues can cause compliance-related issues for HR.
- Certified payroll: Oftentimes construction projects are publicly funded and require that contractors pay a prevailing wage (Davis-Bacon wage) rate for workers on the job. Then, for each payroll period, the contractor must create a certified payroll report that shows the wages paid to each worker. These compliance requirements make payroll a more time-consuming process for HR.
Construction Workforce Management Software
EPAY Systems provides workforce management software that is designed to function seamlessly with various other platforms, or in conjunction with our unified human capital management system, and can be configured to meet your specific business needs.
Real time visibility allows managers to maintain control of each site and shift, even when they’re miles away from site activity. Our workforce management software also allows you to track employee time and attendance including shifts and schedules, helping HR professionals make proactive workforce decisions and control costs.
With the help of our technology, you can reduce payroll prep time, eliminate pay calculation errors, and cut administrative costs with automated timesheets that seamlessly integrate with EPAY Payroll or your payroll system. Tight controls on timecard changes and built-in compliance safeguards help you avoid compliance pitfalls and reduce exposure to wage and hour lawsuits and penalties.
Our workforce management system features include:
- Flexible pay rules
- Budgets and job costing
- Reporting and labor analytics
- Alerts and messaging
- Wage and hour compliance
- Employee scheduling
- Affordable Care Act toolkit
- Mobile time management
- Employee points tracking
HR faces real and unique challenges in the construction industry. EPAY Systems Human Capital Management Solutions can streamline the process with one integrated platform to lighten your HR burden, cut labor costs, and improve the quality of your workforce management.
With EPAY’s unified human capital management technology, every detail is managed and monitored, including recruiting, onboarding, enrollment in benefit programs and HR management, time and attendance tracking, and payroll with technology that meets the specific needs of the construction industry.
Contact us today for a demonstration of EPAY’s workforce management software and human capital management software. Get a live demonstration»